Physical Education?

The other day I was just out of the shower but not yet dressed when Caleb walked into my room with some pressing question about legos, or about some injustice perpetuated by his older brother.  I decided not to call attention to my general nekkid state by telling him to wait until I grabbed a towel, so I just kept getting dressed.

I remembered our conversation when I read Mamabirddiaries today, about parents being naked in front of their kids. We’re not big naked folks around here, although the uniform of most of the boys in this house seems to be shirt, socks, underpants.  Trousers get dropped more or less at the door.

Anyway, so the other day, Caleb nattered on about whatever was on his mind while I got dressed and then he stopped talking, looked at me.

Looked up, looked down.

“Mommy,” he said, “how come little girls have penises but big ladies don’t?”

Hmm.

“Little girls don’t have penises, just little boys. Little girls have vaginas, just like ladies.”

Caleb tilts his head, thinks a bit.

“Nah,” he says. “M.  in my class has a penis. And she’s a girl.”

Hmm.

“Um, how do you know that?”

Shrug. “I just figured that everyone had a penis except ladies. Like you. Penises are good because you can pee standing up.”

Indeed.

, ,

6 Responses to Physical Education?

1. the mama bird diaries May 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

For the record, I don’t want a penis. 🙂

2. brenna May 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

this made me laugh out loud.

3. Jeanellen May 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

My 10 year old son informed me recently that girls don’t pee. Because how can they if they don’t have penises? Duh.

4. Stasha May 12, 2011 at 1:01 am #

Kid has a point. But the beauty of women is they can do anything they set their minds to. That includes peeing standing up.

5. Suzie May 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

An adult male friend of mine recently told me that as a child he was told “boys put the seat up when they go to the bathroom” and it took him a very long time before he decided to disobey the order and not sit on the cold porcelain anymore. True story.

6. Kara May 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Too cute! I used to run a home daycare and I still chuckle to remember the time I undressed a baby girl out of a wet bathing suit in front of a young male preschooler who was shocked to discover the rumours he’d heard were indeed true, “girls aint got nothin!”