As-salaamu aly akum

We’re a long way from home today, on Thanksgiving.  I mean, we’re a long way from home all the time, but on a day like today it’s a little bit harder than usual.  Usually I’m scurrying around the kitchen making a mess, swearing occasionally, but mostly loving that I’m cooking for people I love (why that feeling doesn’t carry over into the regular work week, I have no idea).  But today…nah. Just a regular day in Abu Dhabi.

A group of friends are getting together on Saturday for a big Thanksgiving feast, which will be lovely (and tasty). (Note to self: always find expat community comprised of fabulous cooks.)  We are lucky–thankful, even–to have a community of smart, funny, interesting people who have helped us feel more at home, and later today there will be phone calls to dear ones in the States, all of whom we will see in New York over the winter holidays.

So, as they say, As-salaamu aly akum–peace be upon you.  I hope you’re all with people you love (or at least like a little bit) on this holiday:

10 Responses to As-salaamu aly akum

1. Erica M November 24, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Happy Thanksgiving, Deborah!

2. Just Jennifer November 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I’ve not been able ti figure out why you moved to Abu Dhabi, or how long you’ll be there….

I hope you Saturday Thanksgiving is wonderful!

3. anna ~ random handprints November 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

happy thanksgiving! can’t wait to hear how you do thanksgiving in abu dhabi on saturday -should be some great new traditions for your family.

4. Jamie November 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I hope this year’s version of the holiday was a good for you.

5. Suzie November 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving, I am so loving reading your blog. India!

6. Lady Jennie November 26, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I do know how you feel. I was quite homesick yesterday and I’m too sick to go to our Thanksgiving party with expat friends (which is happening right now).

7. Tracy November 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Alaykoum salam. I am sorry you are missing home at the holidays and hope you had a great time with your adopted expat tribe. At least you got to miss this depressing ‘black Friday’ phenomenon.
    Stay strong!

8. Stasha November 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

being away is the hardest over the holidays. But we are right here. happy Thanksgiving!

9. Dick Horwich November 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Danielle, in Utila, made meat loaf for 15 on Thanksgiving. Turkeys are unknown in Honduras. So you’re not so far away after all — just enough so we really miss you.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Halloween, or, sometimes nostalgia looks like Boba Fett | MaNNaHaTTaMaMMa - November 2, 2013

[…] a double nostalgia whammy in October and November–Halloween and Thanksgiving, neither of which, as you might imagine, are very big in the UAE.  I’ve never been one of […]