The Sisterhood chose the listicle topic for today: “things that make you go hmmm.” If you don’t know the Sisterhood, you should; they’re exactly the kind of people you’d like to have on vacation with you, in part because they’re so good at finding the “hmmm” in everything. I keep asking them to adopt me but they mutter something about having too many kids, and I’m too far away, and so the best I can hope for is to join their lists. Make sure you click over to Stasha’s site and see what else makes people say “hmmm.”
1. Sylvester Stallone selling . . . fine pens? You know that Sly, he never gets credit for being intelleckshual.
2. How the windows in my fifty-story apartment building get washed:
Apparently, the little scaffolding platform that they used got stuck too often, including once last month when it crashed through someone’s apartment window. So now we get these window-washing rappelling guys who are being belayed by these guys down on the street. Not precisely confidence-inspiring, is it?
3. This house, in a compound way outside of town. All the houses in this brand-new compound are dust-colored: beige, tan, brown. Except this one, which takes up most of the block, and whose owners seem to have purchased every single lawn doodad in the shop: fake urns? check. playground equipment? check. plaster stag-head, “rock” waterfall, plastic swans? check, check, and check.
4. The dosage instructions for Liam’s antibiotics, because scrawled instructions on the side of the box are so professional:
5 & 6 are things that make me say “ewwww” rather than “hmmm:”
7. This also makes me say “ewww” but with a slightly different emphasis:
It’s what happens to cheese if you leave it in the car for about 15 minutes while you run into another shop.
8. Speaking of cheese, here’s another “hmm:” Wisconsin’s failure to recall Scott Walker. Given that Wisconsin is where the Progressive movement started (Robert LaFollette ran on the Progressive Presidential ticket in 1924; he was also an outspoken critic of corporate involvement in politics) and given the state’s long history of liberalism (yes, I said the L-word), Walker’s policies are all the more shameful, as is his debt to the Koch brothers. I know many of you cheese-heads worked like dogs to oust this guy but I’m wondering how those of you who voted to keep Walker in power justify that decision? Do you think the Brothers Koch will be sending you million-dollar checks any time soon? Let me know how that goes, m’kay?
9. This ad, in the Marks & Spencer mall near our house. Does Ryan need the money? I dunno, but he sure is nice to look at while I shop:
10. These “toys” I saw being sold in a “bookstore” (or at least, a store that sold book-related products). Really shows girls how to aim high, professionally speaking, don’t you think?
And if your little princess should get tired of top trends, here’s the companion volume:
11. And because I’m not always a crotchety old lady, I throw in a bonus “hmm…” Not all “hmm” has to be bad, right? This bird lives with his family in the shrubs near where I go to yoga. When I walk by this fine feathered fellow on my way to class, I say to myself, “hmm….life here in the desert ain’t all bad.”