Monday Listicles: what i learned in 2012

Stasha’s listicle today, with a suggestion from Kerstin at Auer Life: ten things we learned in 2012.

I’d like to go on record as saying it’s still a little soon to be making lists about the entirety of 2012. I mean, in the next six weeks, before 2013 hits, I still plan to learn Arabic, figure out the intricacies of crochet, and master the art of pie-crust.

In the meantime, however, and in no particular order, what did I learn in 2012?

1. I love twitter. I love the challenge of 140 characters; I love the fast responses; I’m a sucker for a good hashtag.

2. I learned to paddleboard. I even bought one: a nifty inflatable thing that rolls up and fits in the back of my car. It’s fun, it’s easy, it’s great exercise. And then I hurt my shoulder and I’ve not been able to paddle for almost two months.

3. Blogher ’12 taught me all kinds of things: say hello to strangers, because they might turn out to be Good Day Regular People, or The Suniverse.

4. I learned also at Blogher to give people talking to you your full attention, because the person speaking might be the mah-velous Marinka and when you realize you missed an opportunity to talk to her, you will feel pretty much like an idiot for…well, let’s see, that was August and this is November so…

5. I learned that missing my sister and my mom and my brother – and my dear friends “stateside” – is something that needs to be kept sort of over there in a little room that doesn’t get unlocked very often, because if it did get unlocked, then the rushing of emotion would be almost Sandy-like in its power.

6. I know a little bit about this whole expat thing now, even though I am surprised almost daily by what I don’t know. And I’m surprised, sometimes, by my own resilience (or powers of denial – see #5)

7.  I learned that there are limits to my imagination: I could not for the life of me imagine why a woman would want to vote for Romney. I’m sure there are many, many women who had good reasons for casting their votes for him, but I can’t get myself into those moccasins. I think that makes me a bad less-good person.

8. I learned that I like – no, I mean really like – Rachel Maddow. And I wonder if anyone has done a survey of women who consider themselves more or less straight to see how many of them would consider switching to the other team if Rachel would but cast a friendly eye in their direction.

9. I learned – or rather, I am learning – that living without cheese is a bit like living without daily phone conversations with my sister. It’s possible, but it’s nowhere near as much fun.

10. I learned – or re-learned – that I am happiest when I’m writing. And yet, of course, writing is also this:

What’s that old saying? A writer is person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.

Yeah. That. I guess you could say I learned that in 2012, too.

14 Responses to Monday Listicles: what i learned in 2012

1. Larks (@LarksNotesThis) November 20, 2012 at 2:07 am #

I love this list! I especially hear you on 7, 8, and 10 though whenever I see an image of Rachel Maddow I’m reminded of Justin Bieber and that Tumblr that lists famous lesbians who look like him so I smile. That may be a significant contributing factor to the positive feelings I associate with her. ;-P
    Larks (@LarksNotesThis) recently posted..Thankful wall day 18 and the’ beat the Thanksgiving rush’ rush.My Profile

2. Bee November 20, 2012 at 3:49 am #

I always thought I had a good imagination, maybe even too good. But then #7 happened. Great list!
    Bee recently posted..10 Things I Learned in 2012My Profile

3. thedoseofreality November 20, 2012 at 4:52 am #

I absolutely adore this entire list, but I especially loved #7 and #8 the very most! :)
    thedoseofreality recently posted..10 Things We Learned in 2012My Profile

4. Arnebya November 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

OK so at this point I want to tell each of you to BACK UP. Wait just a damn minute. I am NOT the only straight woman who like likes Rachel Maddow? Election night — husband turns from a commercial on MSNBC to CNN. I return from bathroom THE FUCK IS THIS? WHERE IS RACHEL? FIND HER. GET HER BACK. Yeah. He watched the rest of the results unfold downstairs. I am still angry at his audacity. He claims he didn’t know my level of, um, like. SO IT’S NOT OBVIOUS, GOOD.
    Arnebya recently posted..Good EnoughMy Profile

5. Lady Jennie November 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

I’ve never heard that old saying but it’s a gooddun.
    Lady Jennie recently posted..“Le Pont” (and also about dogs)My Profile

6. Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms November 23, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Oh I do love the Twitter, too. I wish I had been at BlogHer to have met you. :)

It must be so hard to be that far away from your family. I’m glad you were able to share it here. I’m hoping your Thanksgiving was okay.

May your writing flow! Ellen
    Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms recently posted..Thanksgiving Tribute to TeensMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

I would’ve loved to meet you sensible moms at blogher too, and do things that weren’t entirely sensible, together! maybe next time…? thanksgiving is always a tough one, in terms of being away, but I swear, “visiting” all the online friends and seeing their celebrations and laughing with their stories helps ease things a bit. Thanks for stopping by & happy turkey to you, too

7. Rorybore November 23, 2012 at 8:45 am #

I keep trying to love The Twit….it’s just too fast for me. Which is weird coming from a gal who got None Of The Patience. I must have the attention of a gnat…
    …….oh did I see cheese mentioned? #nomnom
    Rorybore recently posted..PAD Challenge 2012 Day 22: ParadiseMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Twitter. Ah twitter…I just love it. I am not sure what it says about me that I do, but it’s truly a weird little addiction. I have to remind myself to PUT. DOWN. PHONE. 140-character crack, is what.

8. Jill November 24, 2012 at 6:50 am #

You are much respected in my book for knowing how to paddleboard. It seems as only the strong survive. One day…
    Jill recently posted..Monday Listicles: 10 Things I Learned in 2012My Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Here’s the paddleboarding secret: it’s easy. Actually. If you’ve kayaked or canoed…you’ve totally got it. And the great thing is? If you get tired standing up on a paddleboard? You can sit down. Or kneel, or lie down on the board flat on your back and relax. It’s totally fantastic. Thanks for stopping by!

9. luxuryhuang December 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

html模锟斤拷拷锟角?锟斤拷锟斤拷]拷锟角?锟斤拷锟斤拷]

10. Stasha December 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

What happened to cheese?????!!! How’s the Arabic coming along, and pie crust?
    Stasha recently posted..Monday ListiclesMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn December 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

Gave up cheese…am trying to stay off cheese & dairy sort of generally. But Arabic? Pie crust? Nope. And nope. moi, je suis “loser.”