Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_post_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-functions.php on line 2799

Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_portfolio_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/includes/theme-functions.php on line 819

NOT about turkey leftovers

We haven’t yet had Thanksgiving here yet; that happens tomorrow. I’m trying not to eat today, in preparation, which is a great plan except that I keep getting hungry.

So while all of you in the States are figuring out exactly what onedoes with leftover green-bean casserole, let me tell you about a recent event in my life where I felt a lot like what maybe a slice of bread feels like in a toaster.

Yes, that’s right. I went for an MRI. And it went sort of like this:

Click. Whirrr. Clicketyclick.
This isn’t so bad. I mean, really. People exaggerate so much. A panic button? The technician gave me a panic button? That’s so silly. It’s..oh wow. The ceiling of this thing is really low. Wow. I’ll just close my eyes. There. That’s better.

clicketyclickety chunkachunkachunkachunkchunkCHUNKACHUNKACHUNK

holy crap that’s loud. Like jackhammers. Good lord really loud, they should warn you about how LOUD IT IS wait just breathe breathe WAIT NOT TOO BIG A BREATH HE SAID DON’T MOVE.

thunkathunkathunkathunka clickclickclick buzzzzzTHUNKPLONKPLONKCLICK

Don’t move? howam I’m NOT SUPPOSED TO MOVE? This thingy around my shoulder is killing me, it’s exactly why I’m here, because my shoulder is so sore and now this thing is digging into–wait. It’s quiet. Is it over– THUNKTHUNKTHUNKTHUNK

not over. Oh shit opened my eyes that ceiling is really close, is it getting closer, close my eyes, don’t panic it’s really a very small space, and my feet are going numb I swear they’re going numb don’t move don’t breathe be STILL dammit

clicketywhirrthumpathumpathumpahwacketyclicketythunkthunkthunk

Panic button? no, wait, then I’d just have to start over do NOT push the panic button just breathe but not too much breathe hold still verysmallinhereohshitdoihaveclaustrophobia

whompetywhompetywhompetyclicketyclickety

bing.

Done.

And a good thing, too, because if that exam had last even a minute longer, I’d have been toast.

image source

9 Responses to NOT about turkey leftovers

1. Larks November 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Heheh. Yup. Pretty much. If I ever have to get one of those again I’m going to ask serious pre-MRI questions about what, if any, sedatives might be safely prescribed beforehand because an angry space-aged sewer pipe is definitely not my happy place.

• Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

no sedatives were offered, alas, and I suppose in retrospect, it didn’t last THAT long, but still *shudder* …I love the image of a space-age sewer pipe. That’s perfect.

2. The Bright Side of Life November 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

I got the heebie jeebies just reading this post….. I *am* claustrophobic! Well done for not pushing that panic button… and I hope your shoulder is ok!
    The Bright Side of Life recently posted..RDI ~ then and now (part two)My Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

yep – it was much worse than I had thought it would be, actually…it would be so great if something like this would *heal* instead of diagnose, but alas…

3. Christie Tate November 26, 2012 at 6:22 am #

I need a panic button just to read about this experience. Ugh. I hope everything is just routine (are MRIs routine) and that you are well. I put the green bean casserole in the trash, but that’s just me. oxoxo
    Christie Tate recently posted..I Finally Finished The Blogess’ Book And Promptly Called 911My Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

but i LOVE green-bean casserole…you should have sent it to me!

4. Stacie @ Snaps and Bits November 27, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Oh man, that sounds horrible. I’ve heard all about MRIs but have never had one my self. I hope you got good info to help your shoulder!
    Stacie @ Snaps and Bits recently posted..Kick-backMy Profile

5. Deborah Quinn November 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Wow, thank you for the inclusion! That’s really flattering, coming from a writer whose work I admire.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Hair of the Dogs - November 25, 2012

[…] New Yorker living in Abu Dhabi and brings a fascinating perspective to her elegant blog.  I loved this post about what’s it’s like to undergo an MRI.  I recently read an article about how […]