because we all know that girls can’t do math, right?

Here we go again:

1146596_546445112069717_706905320_n

This t-shirt is for sale just in time for “back to school.”  Isn’t that just the cutest thing you’ve ever seen? A girl’s t-shirt that tells her (and us) that she can’t do math but it’s not a big deal.

It’s funny, you know? I looked on the website for The Children’s Place and didn’t see a corresponding boys’ t-shirt that says his best subjects are…football, TV, and accidentally breaking things.  What would the unchecked box be….reading? writing? empathy?

A few weeks ago, I was in a children’s store–Gap, maybe, or Old Navy, something like that–and the boys noticed that the store was divided into the pink section and the non-pink section (Okay, they’re a little slow. Give ’em a break, they’re boys.)  When I said that the store marketers figured that it would sell more merchandise or something, Liam (who is 12), had a very succinct response:

“That’s stupid.”

We’ve weathered the ridiculous JC Penney shirts, the disgusting Victoria’s Secret underpants…and corporate America keeps right on swinging back, hell-bent, it seems, on sending the message that girls are…less than boys.  And, as Liam would say, “it’s stupid.”

You want a funny shirt? Try this:

HN3281

source

Now that is a shirt any kid could wear, just in time for back to school. Funny–and grammatically correct.

, ,

16 Responses to because we all know that girls can’t do math, right?

1. Poor Princess August 6, 2013 at 4:26 am #

UGH!!!
    Poor Princess recently posted..How to Devastate a Jewish MotherMy Profile

2. Arnebya August 6, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

I just…I’m not good at math, admittedly, but I didn’t need anyone to lump me into a category of allthegirls and proclaim us all inept.
    Arnebya recently posted..TenMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn August 7, 2013 at 4:26 am #

I am already not entirely able to help my 8 year old with his math homework. Nevertheless I persist in believing that if I *wanted* to be good at math, I could be, so god knows I don’t need a shirt proclaiming my ineptitude. Bzackly.

3. Dick Horwich August 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

My problem is, I can’t do math and I can’t dance either.

• Deborah Quinn August 7, 2013 at 4:23 am #

But you are stylish and handsome, so that’s all really that’s needed, right? Plus you offer killer bon mots.

4. Christie August 7, 2013 at 1:57 am #

I must have that comma t-shirt. MUST> Have It.
    Christie recently posted..War Is Hell … And Veterans’ Kids Know ItMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn August 7, 2013 at 4:23 am #

The t-shirt is fantastic. My mom has it, and her grandkids call it “gramma’s letter shirt.” It’s killer. Now I’m hunting for one that supports THE OXFORD COMMA, which is the mark of all civilized humans, everywhere.

5. Julie @ Living on the Ledge August 7, 2013 at 7:22 am #

First time reader here…I’m with Liam. That shirt is stupid. And I’m not good at math, never was. But I also didn’t like to shop. I really dislike these “attitude T’s” altogether.

The Grandma quote you included was my very first pin on pinterest, although it referred to Grandpa. I LOVE IT!
    Julie @ Living on the Ledge recently posted..Too many ultrasounds…too much information?My Profile

• Deborah Quinn August 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Thanks for stopping by! I agree with you: I dislike these sorts of shirts altogether…except that comma shirt. That comma shirt makes me grin from ear to ear–my nieces (2 & 6) call my mom’s shirt “grandma’s letter shirt” and I think that’s perfect. Long live punctuation, I say.

6. Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms August 7, 2013 at 8:15 am #

You go, lady! I hate that t-shirt. I never let my girls utter one word that they are not good at math. In 5th grade the boys were on quite a rant about boys being better at math. My daughter just directed them to me. 🙂 Ellen
    Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms recently posted..BlogHer 2013: A Queen, A Square To Spare, and A Blog RollMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn August 7, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

Eggzackly. Why oh why does the world persist in splitting people into categories and types? I mean, I know why–because it’s easier and more comfortable–but as my kids would say, “what an epic fail.” Aren’t they just articulate as all hell? Sheesh. And yet? So appropriate.

7. Anna August 8, 2013 at 4:08 am #

I hate those shirts, but love they are no longer being sold – I believe the company said in case they MIGHT have offended anyone.
    Anna recently posted..Mom’s Ultimate Summer Bucket ListMy Profile

8. From Novels to Board Books August 9, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

I loved this post. I can’t understand how The Children’s Place ever thought the shirt was acceptable.
    From Novels to Board Books recently posted..A Brief History of BooksMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn August 10, 2013 at 3:34 am #

It’s amazing isn’t it, that someone actually thought this shirt was a good idea? Makes me wonder who, exactly, is green-lighting these ideas! Thanks for stopping by…