how you know you’re raising a twenty-first century kid

Last night as Caleb was getting ready for bed, he told me he wished he’d played on our neighbors’ trampoline after school.

I pointed out that he’d basically come home from school and rushed to his Minecraft game.  Never one to miss a chance to twist the knife, I said “there are lots of things you used to like to do  – build legos, write stories, draw, ride your bike – but for the last few weeks, all you’ve wanted to do is play Minecraft.”

He thought about that for a minute, came to sit on my lap and gave me a kiss.

“No, that’s not true. It’s not all I do. I spend a lot of time managing my YouTube account, too.”

, ,

12 Responses to how you know you’re raising a twenty-first century kid

1. Michelle Longo February 6, 2014 at 3:39 am #

Love it!
    Michelle Longo recently posted..Sparks in the Dark.My Profile

2. Ice Scream Mama February 6, 2014 at 4:19 am #

yup. that about sums it up.

3. Stacie February 6, 2014 at 4:55 am #

It’s all Minecraft, all the time, here as well :)

4. Joe February 6, 2014 at 7:08 am #

Whenever I wanted my kids off the internet I just blocked their access at the router. When they complained that they couldn’t get online I told them our connection must be down and they found something else to do.
    Joe recently posted..Marriage RiskMy Profile

5. Deanna February 6, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Haha! Love this! Smart kid that he gave you a kiss before making his comeback. :-)
    Deanna recently posted..Friday Fictioneers – The CollectorMy Profile

6. jen February 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

omg, please don’t get me started on Minecraft. We call it Minecrack in our house. ha!
    jen recently posted..No Swimming in the Hot SpringsMy Profile

7. Christie February 6, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

That’s fucking awesome. The whole damn thing. I am going to die when video games start.
    Christie recently posted..What NOT to Give A Newlywed: White Cotton NightgownMy Profile

8. JannaTWrites February 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

This is too funny! Poor guy totally missed the point!
    ]
    My sons are obsessed with Minecraft, too. They also play another one called Survivalcraft. I don’t get ti! Thank goodness YouTube accounts have come up :)
    JannaTWrites recently posted..Imagination For TwoMy Profile

9. Natalie D February 6, 2014 at 9:54 pm #

I anticipate that I will be a failure as a parent of a 21st Century child.
    Natalie D recently posted..The Art of Holding BackMy Profile

10. Kim February 7, 2014 at 6:40 am #

As a twist, my five-year-old nephew, upon hearing us grownups discuss bluetooth retorted: “I don’t have blue teeth, I have white teeth.”

11. IASoupMama February 8, 2014 at 12:50 am #

Oh, man, do I know this one. I’ve got an 8-year-old Minecrafter who You-Tubes Stampy Longnose’s Minecraft walkthroughs and listens to them on his iPod while he plays Minecraft on the laptop. Sigh…
    IASoupMama recently posted..Things I Never Thought I Had to Think About AgainMy Profile