Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_post_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-functions.php on line 2799

Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_portfolio_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/includes/theme-functions.php on line 819

Is Missionary Work in His Future?

In case we needed further proof that no one really knows how kids’ brains work, I offer you this little anecdote from the other night.

Friends were in from out of town; they’d come over to say a quick hello to the boys before we headed out for grownup dinner. The babysitter–a lovely, very shy girl, who doesn’t sit for us very often–arrived early and sort of perched awkwardly on the couch as we finished our glasses of wine and got ready to leave.

Caleb, in an attempt to put her at ease–or perhaps trying to drive her away–clambered up next to her on the couch, patted her on the knee.

“So,” he said, leaning in. “Are you a Christian?”

***

Let me just point out that to describe our household as non-religious would be an understatement–I’m pretty sure that Caleb has never been inside a place of worship (temple, church, synagogue, wiccan birch hut) in his entire life. In fact, I don’t even know where he heard the word “Christian” – when we asked him what he meant, he shrugged and said “I have no idea.

I’m just praying the babysitter will come back.

7 Responses to Is Missionary Work in His Future?

1. Shireen November 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm #

lol! love that boy. <3

2. Karen Skinazi November 9, 2010 at 12:23 am #

!!!

3. KSB November 9, 2010 at 12:49 am #

Howling with laughter and wiping away tears~

4. Ann November 9, 2010 at 9:43 am #

He’s been reading Jonathan Edwards on the sly again, hasn’t he. It’s that darn smarty-pants school!

5. Susanbw November 9, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

Maybe some Christian has tried to “save” Caleb on the school playground, as happened to me long ago; a girl whose dad worked for Billy Graham cornered each of us regularly and asked us if we were Christians and had been “saved.” “Saved from what,” I asked. So Caleb may be imitating some mini Evangelical first-grader!

6. Suzie November 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

I am laughing so hard.. tears… , trying not to make a sound, because then the kids will want to know what’s going on. I’m just going to keep that little line in my pocket, so when you see me walking down the street laughing to myself, you’ll know why. Wow, that was perfect.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 50 is now a lot closer than it was yesterday – MaNNaHaTTaMaMMa - January 20, 2011

[…] probably is a Christian because his dad is a Christian but his mom isn’t much of anything.  Where these questions come from, I have no idea, but I think someone needs to invent a “comparative world religions” […]