Monday Listicles: Food (mostly 16th century style)

Stasha strikes again! Just before we left for a day exploring Hampton Court Palace, she posted the topic for her Monday Listicle: Food!

Hey. I can do food. I have a LOT to say about food. Mostly about how my kids don’t really eat “food” in any sense of the word. Watermelon? Nah. Strawberries? Ptooey. Cheese sandwich? Gagh!

So the first item on my list of “what’s to eat?” is this:

Exhibit 1: A little morning snack on the train to Hampton Court: Krispy Kreme Donuts. Yet another quality US export.

But let’s leave my sugar-soaked children behind and consider the 16th century cook, shall we? At Hampton Court, we went through the palace kitchens, which were capable of preparing food for 1200 people at a pop.  The kitchens of the palace have been set up to show us how 16th century cooks worked:

Exhibit 2: Finding a cut of meat to prepare for dinner:

Exhibit 3: Perhaps a shishkebab sort of preparation might be tasty?

Exhibit 4:  Getting the oven the right temperature can be tricky.

Exhibit 5: The finished product (bit of a bummer about the skewer holds, but that can be covered up with a sauce?)

Exhibit 6: No part of the animal will be wasted: anyone fancy a little kidney pie?

Exhibit 7: Need to have a non-carnivore option for our guests.  Perhaps a bird of some sort? Feathers optional.

Exhibit 8: Maybe you’d like to have some bread with your dinner?

And now back to the present day: Dinner for my youngest child: NO noodles. NO chicken tikka. NO hot dogs. Sandwich, please (at least I got a please). NO CRUSTS.

Exhibit 10: My own dinner. Um…perhaps I shouldn’t chastise my youngest son?  Here’s what I had:  two kinds of cheese, a lot of tomatoes, and a glass of rose.  Bliss.

8 Responses to Monday Listicles: Food (mostly 16th century style)

1. Mama And The City August 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

LOL, you almost loose me with all the other pics. And hey, the French have cheese and wine, so …you are okay.

2. Stasha August 8, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

That looks a lot like my dinner! The only thing I kept missing during pregancy was soft cheeses. Then a few days after giving birth I overdosed on Brie, Roquefort, goat cheese and what not and caused my son the worst wind possible. Maybe that is why mine doesn’t eat much either. He likes blue cheese but not Mac’n’cheese. Yours too?!
    Love your take on the list. Funny you!

3. saretta August 9, 2011 at 12:56 am #

Fun list! Glad I live in the 21st century, though! 🙂

4. Bestfoodies August 9, 2011 at 6:46 am #

I think I will take the present day food! Love cooking over a fire though and wish I had a brick oven. Cute post…

5. anna ~ random handprints August 9, 2011 at 8:22 am #

it really does show how much food has changed over the years, though of course of late, not really for the better… can not wait to see your food finds from your new home!

6. Varda (SquashedMom) August 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

OK, I read this while eating my dinner, consisting of:
    One (fried) mozzarella stick, stolen off my son’s plate
    One piece of very crispy bacon, stolen off my other son’s plate
    One bowl of lentil soup
    Handful of mixed nuts
    Grape tomatoes remaining in bottom of container (about 12)
    Carrot & celery sticks that came w/ mozzarella sticks that son regards as poison & wont eat
    Orange juice

LOVE this & Glad to know I’m not alone!

• Khaled December 2, 2012 at 3:39 am #

I was blown away by the Currents show. What was most extraordinary about Currents for me was that it coenaitnd both the feeling of a grass-roots style event (being built by our local community of video artists and supporters) mixed with a curatorial clarity, care of detail, and respectful and professional presentation of the work, rivaling any museum show of new media I have every experieced. This made the experience accessible, fresh and very exciting. Kudos to the team that built it!

7. Ado August 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Hi from Listicles:
    First off I love Hampton Court Palace and used to live just down the river from it in Richmond.
    Second of all I really had no idea you could get Krispy Creme donuts in London. go figure!
    I loved your funny food list – no way would my kids have survived food-wise in the 16th c. But maybe they had Krispy Creme back then??? (-: