Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_post_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-functions.php on line 2799

Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_portfolio_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/includes/theme-functions.php on line 819

multicultural? cross cultural? or just advertising?

So you may or may not know that it’s Diwali this week, the Hindu Festival of Lights.

Indian shops and restaurants are festooned with marigold garlands, and even the expat Aussie grocery store has a Diwali display:

But, of course, in good capitalist fashion, it’s almost the American Thanksgiving holiday, which means that it’s time to start thinking about… CHRISTMAS!

Of course, the Christmas tree is in a shop that’s staffed almost exclusively by Filipinos, who, I am told by a Filipino student, are famous for having the longest-running “Christmas season” in the world: it starts sometime in September and runs through January.

So start shopping now and beat the rush.

8 Responses to multicultural? cross cultural? or just advertising?

1. Lady Jennie November 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

I’m surprised that there’s such an Indian influence in Abu Dhabi.
    Lady Jennie recently posted..Recipe for Euro Disney SuccessMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

The Kerala Community Center has been in AD for decades, actually. There’s a huge Indian population – particularly southern India. Oh the food!!!

2. Jamie@SouthMainMuse November 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

I’ve never heard of the Diwali festival but the lights and displays look lovely.
    Jamie@SouthMainMuse recently posted..You’d Stoop to Pick Up a Nickle, Wouldn’t You?My Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

The preschool where my kids went in New York had a Hindu teacher, who always did Diwali projects – so I know about Diwali, even though I am not quite sure what is being celebrated. It’s pretty, is all I know. Lots of lights and candles, lots of flowers…

3. Bee November 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I didn’t realize that there’s a Filipino community in Abu Dhabi. That’s pretty cool. I’m Filipino-American, but I did hear that Filipinos start putting up Christmas decorations in September! That’s way too early for my taste, but Halloween and Thanksgiving aren’t celebrated in the Philippines so it kind of makes sense.
    Bee recently posted..Everything Here Is MineMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

There is a huge Filipino community here – and it’s true, actually, that Filipino Xmas goes on for months, culminating, at least for the expat Filipino community, in a huge television special that is broadcast worldwide. It’s kind of a stunning phenomenon, actually.

4. Ginny Marie November 14, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

I couldn’t find Thanksgiving paper plates and napkins at Walmart because they have all their Christmas stuff already. I even asked an employee, and there was none to be found!! It’s so frustrating.

I’m imagining that Diwali must be a beautiful time of year.
    Ginny Marie recently posted..An Alaskan TrailMy Profile

• Deborah Quinn November 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

funny how this fast-forwarding of the seasons has become a global problem!!