Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_post_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-functions.php on line 2799

Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_portfolio_taxonomy' in /home/williams/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/includes/theme-functions.php on line 819

the seven year old, at 1.5

In my efforts to organize our digital photos, I found one of my favorite pictures of Caleb.  And then, as so often happens, the blog world stepped in and gave me an excuse to share this picture.  Galit, over at These Little Waves is running a linkup in conjunction with Alison at Mama Want This, called “Memory Captured.”

Caleb learned to walk when he was nine months old and began to explore the world (stairs! balconies! steep slides!) with utter disregard for life and limb. Mostly because he was so young that he wasn’t sure what “limb” meant, much less “life.”  And, of course, he had only the most rudimentary understanding of physics: thus this picture. The foot at right angles to the cupboard he’s trying to climb into, the clothes scattered around him on the floor, the complete concentration: I will get inside this whatever it is.

6 Responses to the seven year old, at 1.5

1. Laura@Catharsis December 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Look at that little walker! I remember when our first son began walking, he fell down the stairs. I felt like the worst mother alive. He just moved that quickly AND he managed to move the child gate himself in 30 seconds. Craziness.

• Deborah Quinn December 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Given our kids’ quickness and hidden dexterity, I think we could make a mint by having parents enroll their kids in a thievery program, like in Dickens. All that dexterity and stealth is just going to waste! Let’s put it to use in the name of earning mama an extra buck: a little breaking-and-entering never hurt anyone, right? And if the kid can undo a safety gate … what’s a bank safe?

2. Greta @gfunkified December 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

Love it!! I can’t imagine my 8 month old anywhere near walking, but he could surprise me. Or, he could be like his siblings and walk at 15ish months. Fine by me!

• Deborah Quinn December 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

exactly! when caleb started walking so young, people would say ‘wow, that’s great” or something like that. And I’d think “are you NUTS? the kid has a brain the size of a pea at this point; he should *not* be walking around!” ah well…. he made up for it by not talking in full words until almost 3. Buckets of fun.

3. Ruth December 6, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Note, too, the NYer baby dressed in black 🙂

• Deborah Quinn December 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

As a fellow NYer, of course you’d catch that, Ruth! the front of that onesie thing had a pacifier on it (caleb was surgically attached to a pacifier until about 3 months ago) and the caption “pacifist.” So not only was he a black-clad NYer, he was forced to carry the banner of his mother’s love of puns into the fray. Maybe that’s why he was climbing into the cupboard. In protest of a bad pun? Thanks for the comment.