It’s (another) beautiful day in Abu Dhabi but I’m gloomy. The semester looms, the unfinished manuscript(s) languish, the (feral) children bicker, the husband business trips, I drive around doing errands.
Then I get home and discover that a woman who writes a column called mynewfavoriteday emails me to say she’s giving me an award: Most Versatile Blogger. I like this woman’s writing, admire her story, and am all kinds of flattered.
See? Even with a badge and everything:
Versatile. I like that word. Versatile as opposed to the words I more frequently use to myself when I describe this blog–random, scattered, diffuse, unfocused, niche-less, grab-bag. But versatile? That’s…groovy, flexible, hip, MacGyvery.
So thank you Shannon, for a much-needed lift and now for the rules for the Versatile Blogger Award:
1. Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass this award along to 15 recently discovered blogs you enjoy reading.
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.
Yay for fifteen new writers. Ugh, seven things about me.
1. I can pick up almost anything with my toes. My feet seem very close to our monkey ancestors.
2. In some parallel universe where I can sing (or even lip-synch), I’d like to be a rock star.
3. Turning forty felt fabulous (probably because I spent so much time alliterating) but I’m already fearing fifty, which doesn’t happen for two more years. Fifty feels…final.
4. Writing a blog is the closest I will ever get, I imagine, to being an eighteenth-century gadfly, ala Addison (or Steele).
5. I have really good name-face recognition, which is one of the greatest assets I have as a teacher (besides my total brilliance, of course): students realize that I’m going to know if they’re not in class.
6. I love awards shows (and the crucial pre-game commentary).
7. I have a crush on my new iphone.
And now I’m off to spread versatile joy around the interwebs.