apparently i’m a glamor don’t

Liam: Do ladies get their hair cut as often as I do?

Me: Depends on whether they have short hair or not, I guess.

Liam: What about long hair?

Me: Nah, because with long hair you can tuck it up, like I do.  My hair is currently in its standard knot of a ponytail looped back on itself. Tres fashionable.

Liam:  You should grow your hair really, really long.

Me: My hair gets sort of scraggly if it gets long.

Liam, excited: No, but if you grew it really long, like Katniss, that would be wonderful.  And then you could wear some exquisite clothes.

I look down at my cotton t-shirt and skirt, which is starting to pill because it’s been washed so frequently. Exquisite?

Liam: Yes, exquisite. And then you’d be one of those pretty moms.

Everyone’s a critic.

10 Responses to apparently i’m a glamor don’t

1. Matty April 3, 2012 at 5:31 am #

Ouch.

2. Shannon April 4, 2012 at 1:01 am #

I’ve heard those “pretty moms” have delightfully charming children who never fight or fuss, so I think you need to put him to task first 😉

• Deborah Quinn April 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

EXACTLY! I’d like to blame him for my lack of fanciness. .. because god knows I’m not at all a fancy mom and – given the lines, the dewlaps, and the wattle? pretty may be something I peaked at when I was 44. : )

• Deborah Quinn April 5, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Bingo. I’d be pretty if he’d stop fighting with his damn brother. That’s my argument and I’m sticking to it!

3. Bridget April 4, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Pretty moms kind of annoy me…

• Deborah Quinn April 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Liam and I have this ongoing commentary about “fancy” moms (same as pretty moms) –they annoy me too, and I will never EVER be one – but I know my kids wish I would show up to their school all done-up and polished… sigh. Sorry guys, ain’t gonna happen!

4. Marinka April 5, 2012 at 5:58 am #

Oh, I’d like to be a pretty mom too! But with shorter hair because Katniss’ was too elaborate.

• Deborah Quinn April 5, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Her tousled braid stayed PERFECTLY tousled through all that hunt-to-the-death stuff. I wonder where in those backpacks she’d stashed her hair products. Maybe it was in one of those canisters that dropped from the sky? Heals wounds, tames the frizzies? Probably a Frederic Fekkai thing, don’t you think?

5. anna April 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

i’m glad my kids are the only ones with the helpful suggestions about appearance!

• Deborah Quinn April 8, 2012 at 4:01 am #

aren’t they just the most HELPFUL little darlings? We have this running joke about how I’m not a “fancy mom,” and I think (I hope?) it’s what he meant…but still. I had to laugh. And then go look in the mirror to see what I’d look like with just the tiniest injection of botox…! thanks for stopping by.